STURT’S BOAT REPLICA
Sturt’s Boat Replica is located at Pioneer Park in Tibooburra, in Outback NSW.
It is a replica of the 27 ft long whaleboat that Sturt’s party carried with them by wagon on their expedition in 1844-1845. They were in search of “the inland sea”.
- Sturt also took with him a party of 15 men, 11 horses, 30 bullocks, 4 drays, 200 sheep and 6 dogs.
- They travelled along the Murray and Darling Rivers towards the now Broken Hill.
- They were stranded for months due to the extreme summer heat.
- The rain finally came and enabled the party to move further north towards the Grey Range.
- The party pushed further on until they reached the Simpson Desert but were unable to continue due to the extreme desert conditions and lack of water.
- They turned back to the depot and then eventually returned to Adelaide.